Friday, September 30, 2011

Hittin' The Road With My Little Painting and Going Over To The Friday Paint Party


I'm going over to participate in the Friday Paint Party.  I wanted to share a little paint project from this last weekend.  Of course, I just can't show you the painting, there is a story to tell as well!  So here goes.....

I was to attend a good guy friend's birthday party who has everything in the world and needs nothing.  What to do for a gift? Something more than a bottle of wine.  Wine is so, well, average. It's become so impersonal.  Everyone brings wine.  But he does love his vino.   How about a super nice bottle wrapped nicely with a little bit of 'artwork' attached?!! 

I have been toying around with a new process in the studio. I decided to experiment with this process using a cool, vintage image of him that he recently posted on his Facebook page. This is an image of him many years back on a mule in Haiti. Yes.  It is kinda humorous.  My friend has a good sense of humor.  There were the expected Facebook jibs and jabs.  My friend even jump in and participated in a little poking fun at himself! He said something about posting it so he could remember that he once did have hair! It was not your average image, so I wanted to use it.

I took the image and placed it into PhotoShop and altered a few things, including the exposure and shadows. 

I then printed the image onto high grade watercolor paper and added a little color into the sky, ground and saddle using watered down acrylic paint.


I use a deckle scissor to trim the edges to give it a little flair.  Added to a fine bottle of wine. TADA!  Now that is a thoughtful gift for someone who has everything. 


As I am writing this blog post, his Facebook status update reads: Enjoying a glass of wine with friends.  I wonder if he is drinking my bottle of wine?   A girl can dream.

-The End-
Linking to:

Keeping It Simple

26 comments:

Twice Nice said...

Neat! I really need to learn how to use my photoshop. You all do so many cool things with that puppy. Deb

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome idea ~ well done! ~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) HPPF ^_^

Unknown said...

you are truly a wonderful friend to your good guy friend...hee he hee...I bet he loved that you thought so well of him to do this striking and artful print for him...It looks great !

- KAT -

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

OK I love this! Might have to copy!

Vicky said...

What a lovely idea! I'm certain he will always remember it!

Yvonne said...

That looks great and such a unique gift for someone. I use photoshop but need to learn more and play a bit with it.

Anonymous said...

He should have invited you to help him drink the wine! The image re-purposed image is a great idea and it came out very cool. I hope he liked it. Happy PPF! :-)

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

It's an awesome idea. So nice of you to think of it and make an effort of making it. :)

Joni Nickrent said...

How cool...awesome idea! Love it! POP ART MINIS

Netty said...

Terrific idea and done so well. Happy PPF, x

Mary C. Nasser said...

What a wonderful and unique gift!
It turned out great!!

Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mary C. Nasser Art Blog

Ayala Art said...

That is one cool unique gift! Excellent idea!

SHERI COOK said...

This is a very clever idea and I am sure it was well received! Great idea! Happy PPF!

Robin Panzer Art said...

Well this was just an inspired idea and it came out beautifully! Happy Paint Party Friday! ~Robin Panzer Art Studio 33

Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors said...

thanks for describing your process
happy ppf!
i love that photo

carlarey said...

What a great way to turn something ordinary into something special and memorable.

Lilac & Lavender said...

Great idea ~ your project turned out so well! Love the watercolor touches... I'm inspired to try something like this myself :) Thanks!

Daniele Valois said...

This is fun!

Crystal said...

Wonderful idea...i'm sure your friend loved it!

Rosie Kaplan said...

neat idea and well done.

HeARTworks said...

It's really an amusing picture! How nice that you thought of this project- great idea! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Theresa said...

I love how you altered the photograph. I am sure it was a loved gift. Happy PPF!

Geckostone said...

This is too cool! What a creative gift! I'm sure he will treasure it forever!Perfect with the wine!! Deb

Kristin Dudish said...

What a fun and personal touch to add to the bottle of wine... I'm sure he loved it!

xo
Kristin

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

Great idea! It is always more meaningful when you give a gift that is personal & handmade! Happy PPF!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Such a fun idea! Thanks for sharing.