Thursday, October 27, 2011

White Shutters Window Treatment in The Master Bathroom



Ugly Curtains/source:here
I am not a fan of curtains.  I don't really know why.  I have had some really super beautiful window treatments along the way, but currently I do not have a single curtain in my house.  When I think of it I cringe.  Is it the dust that I perceive them collecting?  Is it the way they block part of the light coming into my rooms or the view they potentially block?!  I just don't know.  They are just the last thing on my list and they never seem to get done.  The image to the left is something I found doing a web search for ugly curtains.  They made me laugh.  If they are yours, well...sorry for laughing.

Enter....my Master Bathroom Project and these really plain windows with a need to do something. 

Okay....I probably need to admit that not having any privacy in a bathroom can become a problem, especially at night.  Since removing the cheap wooden blinds a few months ago that the previous owner installed, we have been stumbling around in the dark at night.  Yep, I know...  Morons!  

One window has a pretty good amount of foliage outside, so there is coverage there, but not for the one over the tub.  With a vacant lot next door, I figure that I have about 7 neighbors who if they were curious just might have caught a glimpse of me or my hubby.  Something had to be done! Not because I care about being seen, but because I don't want to traumatize my neighbors with such a frightful sight!

I spotted this shutter project on a blog I read, Tidbits from the Tremaynes. Mandy made these nifty shutters for a bedroom.  I thought, "Hey! I can do this same thing in the bathroom." 

I had my helper Ed come over and we created the shutters to fit my window.  Here they are just after completing them.
So, Ed left and I painted the shutters with two coats of Sherwin Williams Duration in Alabaster White.  I mainly used a roller, except for the hard to reach places.  I wanted the clean look that a roller provides.

Ed came back just the other day and we hung the shutters in the bathroom.  If you remember, I painted the walls a few months back in a pale yellow to match my master bedroom.  We used 4 three inch heavy duty chrome hinges that we attached inside the pocket, but giving the shutter room to fully open.  I took some quick images for you to see.  No fancy staging here.  I will work on that for the final bath reveal.  Here they are...



I love this image because it shows the lawn job some happy teenager
bestowed on the vacant lot next door.  Makes me smile.
Just like Mandy at Tidbits from the Tremaynes, these shutters are mainly decorative.  You have probably figured out that if I completely closed them, we wouldn't get complete coverage on the windows. 

If you remember, I have been collecting stained glass windows that I ultimately would like to hang in the windows to block the view, but still let in the light.  I have only found a few that I like at the price I am willing to pay.  There aren't a lot of outlets for that type of thing in my area.  The hunts goes on... 

In the end, I am left with one thought...a question.  Did you look closely at the last image of the shutters?  Do you think that what really prompted those teenagers, or juvenile adults to peel out in the lot next door could have been the sight of this past-her-prime gal walking in her pajamas to the toliet?!!  I think it could have been.

-The End-
Linking this to:
  

  
shabby creek cottage

16 comments:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

The shutters look lovely...and if those kids were looking, they deserve what they get!!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Really great look. I love different ways to dress windows. I have to say that I really liked the wide open no treatment look too. Well done!

Katie said...

These look awesome!! The white looks perfect with the yellow walls! It adds a lot to the bathroom!

Cassie Bustamante said...

these look fabulous! i am with you on the curtain thing- i never really love them. i buy them because you need them, but i always struggle with "the right ones". i love this idea!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

These are just as cute as can be. Love this SO much!

XO,

Sheila

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Oh my heck-- LOVE them. They are so cute!

You know, my sister hates curtains too. She thinks they're granny-ish. I can see her point. Might that be part of the equation?

patti west said...

Ha!!! You are too funny, Lesley! Your crisp white shutters look perfect!

Anonymous said...

great job on the shutters! They look so cute, really makes the bathroom!

Heaven's Walk said...

What a sweet, creative idea, Lesley! Great job - and hey....just keep entertaining those peeping Toms! lol!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Love the shutters! Did you ever think of making your own stained glass windows? Spend a couple hundred dollars on the basics, take a beginner class and you can create your own. AND you have a studio (I'm jealous)!!! There are some FABULOUS sites that feature all vintage windows that you can get ideas from. Just a thought. :@

I just visited our youngest daughter today to view Finley's room. They turned the bifold closet doors into cool barn doors, and I think your shutter idea would be perfect for her windows!!

Grandma Bonnie said...

I love the bright open look that you have in your bathroom. The shutters are a great touch. Stopping by from the Creative Bloggers party hop.
Hope you stop by for a visit.

Unknown said...

I LOVE shutters too. We actually made some for the outside of our house. This looks great! I found your blog from the creative bloggers party & hop. I'm your newest follower. I'd love you to stop by my blog & follow along too!
Thanks,
sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Sandy Ang said...

love your shutters !

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

cute shutters! they look really great in your bathroom!
gail

Brooke @ Spruce Your Nest said...

Love it!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love that picture at the end of the yellow butterfly.

lisa