Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Chippy Vintage Mantel Makes The Move To a More Colorful Locale

A few months ago I did a radical makeover of a chippy vintage mantel.  I revealed the mantel in the post entitled, A Transformed Vintage Mantel Finds A Home in My Master Bedroom.  You can click on the title to see the full transformation.  Just after I completed this project, something happened...we decided to move.

It was a strange feeling seeing so many of my projects get left behind, like the neat Master Bathroom Renovation and the cool White Shutters that I made for that room.  But, for the most part, all my projects and furniture came along for the ride.  On move in day at the new house, each piece was placed in a new location, but the mantel just didn't have a place.  So it sat in a hallway between my garage door and our family room.  It was awkward there.  Even my sister expressed how much she hated it in the hallway.   When my sister says something like that, I know it is time to make a change!  She's the boss around here.

It took me a few days of carting the darn thing all over to figure out where to place it.  Then I tried something a little crazy.  I added to the master bedroom "foyer" area.  It fit perfectly and helped give this tiny pass through space a little presence.  I added a few things, like one of my red ladder back dining chairs with a pillow and a vintage #5 jug with a small live plant on the mantel.

It's funny how something that is designed for one location can work in a completely different place.  The previous room was pale yellows and whites.  Now the mantel is sitting within a very colorful locale. I am sure that I will be re-decorating this spot.  But for now, I'm okay with it.  I think it works wonderfully.  What do you think??




This tiny foyer to the bedroom is just off the White Living Room that I blogged about just a few days ago.  I love the transition of fresh whites to bright colors.


It almost beckons one to enter to see what is beyond the doorway.

12 comments:

Twice Nice said...

So glad you found a spot for it! Looks great! Your blog is looking very spiffy too.

Connie said...

I would say that you found the perfect spot for it. It's lovely there and as you said it looks warm and inviting. Have fun decorating your new home. Connie :)

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Of course, I love it! It looks like a full moon rising over the mantel when viewed from down the hall. Very Alice in Wonderland. I can almost imagine Johnny Depp sitting in that red chair. :@

Cassie Bustamante said...

it adds the perfect intrigue at the end of the hallway! loving the lighter blog look, btw!

Janet said...

The mantel is perfect there! I've loved taking your home tour, you've done a beautiful job making this house your home. I can't wait to see what's up next. :)

Olive said...

That is a splendid view down the long hallway. Love the pink chair.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

It is the perfect fit!Everything is beautiful!

Geneva said...

I've been looking for a mantel for a while, but it has to be small so I can move it around like you have ... ha! Yours looks great with it's yellow color and I love the last photograph from your white living room. Wow! Beautiful Job!

Connie said...

I just checked my blog and saw that you are now following me, too. That just tickles me pink, thank you.
Connie :)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I love how it fits that space! Beautiful!

momto8blog said...

oh wow.what a perfect fit! that works just right..good for you!!
I a your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Lisa Montsion said...

I love that red chair and the cushion on it.

lisa